If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, then you’re poised for greatness at ICW Group. Our BDUs are the points of contact for agents and brokers. Overseeing both underwriting and marketing initiatives ensures you grow to become your agents’ business partner. You decide how to go about fostering relationships, and building your book of business.
The Business Development Underwriter is responsible for achieving the Company's marketing and producer management objectives within the assigned group of producers through the generation and maintenance of a profitable book of business in accordance with Company goals and guidelines. Establishes collaborative relationships with agencies/producers to understand the external marketplace, and underwrite within established performance standards. Evaluates routine business for risk acceptability; matching price to exposure, loss frequency and severity for profitability, and rating plans/modifications for renewal retention.
Drives and manages a profitable and growing book of business
• Sells, services and maintains a producer force that can sell and control a profitable and growing book of business; Monitors production and quality of assigned producers
• Drive profitable sale of the Company's products including increasing sales of existing products, and the introduction and selling of new products as they are developed.
• Develops the assigned producer group to improve the quality and quantity of the business we obtain from assigned producers.
• Serves as the primary Company contact and representative with existing and prospective producers. Prospects and develops new business
Prospects and prequalifies new producers to determine working relationship
• Appoints new quality producers; sets and monitors production expectations with each Agency.
• Attains a thorough knowledge of the geographic territory assigned with regard to production sources, competitor activity, and economic and demographic idiosyncrasies.
• Produces marketing research to help identify opportunities for management, product enhancements, new distribution channels and new geographic markets with growth potential.
Utilizes underwriting authority to effectively price Company’s products
• Accepts or rejects simple to slightly complex risks, evaluating all risk characteristics (operations, financials, management, employees, prior experience, etc) as compared to the average in its class and price for profit within Company Underwriting guidelines.
• Keep alert to industry changes, including WCIRB/NCCI rulings, forms and coverage changes. Delivers superior customer service through collaborative relationships
• Provides productions support through producer visitations and by participating in underwriting and production presentations.
• Provides personal assistance to agents and insureds through regular visits to outside locations such as producer’s offices. Be available to customers through use of Company technology.
• Effectively communicates decisions and resolve agent/customer concerns promptly.
• Presents Agency Management solutions to agency principals and ICW management team.
• Requires computer usage and the ability to drive, occasionally long distances.
• Requires the ability to work 20-30% time from home. Also requires travel, usually limited to automobile but occasional air travel is required.
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated ability to service the Company’s clients and build and maintain relationships with production sources. Ability to apply fundamental Underwriting concepts, practices, procedures in area of specialization. Ability to read and interpret documents such as submissions, loss control reports, and standard policy form/endorsements. Current driver's license required. Excellent sales and organizational skills. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Dependent on Experience
ICW Group is a leading national group of insurance carriers offering a range of products for businesses, including workers’ compensation and earthquake, as well as automobile coverage for individuals. Follow us here for company updates, career opportunities, product information, workers’ compensation industry trends, fraud prevention tips, risk management support and an opportunity to network with... industry experts and peers.
We deliver our insurance products through our independent agent and broker partners, and are a full-service group of companies—providing industry-leading claims, risk management and fraud investigation services. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with agents and policyholders to achieve fewer and less costly claims.
ICW Group is headquartered in San Diego, and has branch offices across the United States. Learn more about our company at http://www.icwgroup.com
You can also connect with us at: